photo home_zps50cbc827.gif photo about-me_zpsa01d7e00.gif photo life-in-books_zps0f9b7d0b.gif


Saturday, September 1, 2012

Why People Don't Like Autumn

I love the month of September and that's probably because my birthday is in September. I love autumn though and probably would had my birthday been in February. Autumn just brings about a sense of nostalgia for me and I can never figure out why. I don't know how anyone can seriously hate autumn. The leaves are changing color and you get to wear scarves (!) and hoodies and boots.  Last fall/winter, I was really into guys who wore scarves but I think I'm sightly over that now. I'm still convincing myself that I need a circle scarf! I found the most beautiful one at Urban Outfitters but I have no money. I am still on the lookout though. Early autumn is perfect camping weather. The feel of leaves crunching under your shoes is a magical feeling. I always go out of my way to step on leaves...

Autumn doesn't really feel like a season though so I understand why a lot of people choose winter or summer for a favorite season. It zooms on by and there aren't too many places where all four seasons are prominent. Autumn is always the season where everyone is preparing for winter, even Mother Nature. The leaves are falling off to make room for the soon to come snowfall. The wind is practicing to welcome ice winds and cold spells. I have to admit that snow is a bit more exciting than leaves. I hate wearing tennis shoes too. . . random odd fact. Maybe it's because I don't have a really pretty yet comfortable pair. Boots during warmish autumn isn't exactly looked highly upon either so I guess a lot of people have shoe frenzies and maybe that's why they dislike autumn.

I used to be obsessed with Converse but after a rather scarring experience I don't like wearing them anymore. Korea has a lot of different patterns on Converse because that's what Korean people like. There are rarely any pairs of shoes that are one plain color. I go to Korea every year (I haven't always gone every year) and last summer I had the worst experience ever. I went on a three hour hike with my grandpa and listened to his childhood stories which reflect Korean history. It amazes me that Korean history is still really recent. This one lady used to live by us (before I moved to California, yes! gasp! I live in California. Can you guess where I used to live?) and my mom was BFFs with her. She was a very touchy lady and I didn't appreciate that. Another random fact: I don't like direct contact? I used to hate hugs but I think I'm okay with them now.This lady also had a daughter who was a couple months younger than me and a son who was a year older than me. Apparently this son had some sort of crush on me but his actions towards me were indifferent and I had absolutely no idea that he even knew anything more about me than my name (even though my family went over to their family's house a lot. We were all church people). Things weren't awkward with me and this guy but his mom made them so incredibly awkward. Like she told me that her son had this crush on me but he was too shy to say it. Parents should never do that. That really hampers if not ruins any potential opportunity to date (not applicable in this case. There was 0% chance that I'd date him but his mom just made it all worse). It's awkward and stressful for everybody. The mom also told me that her son was 70% not nice and 30% nice but I should be happy and just look at the 30% of his personality that was nice. He wasn't particularly good looking (I won't be mean here) and had some slight anger management issues. Yeah, if you can't tell he was absolutely not my type. I told my mom this later with disgust and she told me that it was more of this lady's wish that I would date her son. Okay back to the story, so after I came back from hiking, my dad tells me that she called with tickets to Lotte World which is the Korean version of Disneyland. I had been wanting to go because I hadn't gone since 4th grade. The tickets are really expensive. It was super crowded because it's a tourist attraction that normal people go to as well. The lines were 2 hours long and I had nothing to talk about this the daughter while waiting in line. And I was tired because of my hike and the Converse were starting to make my skin peel. My family had dinner with their family (except the son didn't come because he had to study!) We left around 11 and it was pouring rain. Converse has little holes on the side because of a fashion statement I guess and my foot was surrounded in water. The ride home took about an hour and a half of constant subway riding to bus transfers because there were absolutely no taxis that weren't reserved. I had a bad day, maybe the worst day ever, and so that's why I don't like Converse. This year I didn't see their family at all which was perhaps one of the reasons why my trip was so darn pleasant.

I have a lot of good memories of autumn. Pumpkin carving is always fun :) I remember getting lost in a corn maze with my best friend. It was both our first time in a huge maze and we were feeling frantic that we had already missed it. Our moms were visiting the pumpkin patch with all the other people we had come to this huge lot with. This was before either of us had cell phones and we ended up leaving from the entrance side by following the stream of new people coming in. We visited haunted houses after sprinting out of the corn maze. Neither of us really wanted to be scared out of our wits but couldn't admit that to the other. A sense of relief washed over us once we saw the sign that said the haunted house was closed. When the guy we had come with, he is about three to four years younger than us, asked if we really liked haunted houses we both instantly stared at each other and nodded at him with a sheepish look. I miss those days and I miss that solid friendship I once had with her. The last time I saw her was winter break of freshman year (I'm now a junior). She is supposedly visiting sometime in October but I don't know anymore. Pretty much when every break rolls around, she and her mom say that they're going to visit. Two weeks before the day they're supposed to come, they call and say that they can't anymore. We never talk either. We've both moved on and all we have left of each other is memories. Long distance anything is hard. Even sending mail. I've failed so much at sending mail that I just don't anymore. I don't know how anyone can be so bad at writing an address but I miraculously am. When I last visited her and my old friends, there was an undeniable sense that we were trying so hard to stay friends because we naturally couldn't. Technology doesn't make that any better. In fact in some ways it worse because there is now such an easy way to keep in touch and video chat and etc but we don't. When there weren't things like Facebook, Skype, and phones there was at least a good excuse for why two parties were not contacting each other. Technology does provide a reality check which is good for everyone.

I discovered how Blogger keeps track of views. One day is 24 hours for Blogger and the first time I wrote in this after a very long nonexistence (of the blog) was at 5 pm. So now one day starts at 5pm and ends on 5pm the next day. It's sort of bothers me but at the same time makes sense. I just wish it was consistent with the calendar date too. I won't complain about Blogger being evil or nonsensical anymore, well at least about keeping views.

I love hot chocolate! But I'm still looking around for really delicious hot chocolate. Godiva hot chocolate tastes amazing but oddly here there are almost no places selling it especially on sale. So I've been drinking the prepackaged Starbucks ones with little marshmallows already included. It's a bit too bitter for my liking. If anyone knows some really awesome hot chocolate that's not bitter, please do tell!

Today it got a lot warmer during the day! So I spent a good twenty minutes randomly trying on clothes and telling myself that a green Keropi sweater does not look good with a pink skirt. I tried on this dress that I got in Korea and it was just too pretty not to buy. But I don't know if I can wear it here. The time for wearing skirts without leggings or tights is almost over now. I'm not sure what you wear leggings with. Leggings don't look that great with skirts because there are tights for that. Maybe I'll go find some sort of tunic haha. Warm weather is always a great way to start a month, especially September.

xx


No comments:

Post a Comment