photo home_zps50cbc827.gif photo about-me_zpsa01d7e00.gif photo life-in-books_zps0f9b7d0b.gif


Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Happy Halloween!

Hi everyone!!! I hope you're having a fun Halloween. Halloween is such an American holiday though haha. My grandmother from Korea freaked out about houses being decorated with cobwebs and toilet paper. I'm not sure if any other places have a huge Halloween celebration and I would definitely be interested in learning more.



For those who don't know, Halloween is a festive holiday in the US. Most of the meaning has been eroded by now but it used to have a connection with All Saint's Day and Hallow's Eve. Now it's become a day to dress up in creative costumes, hang out with friends, attend parties, or go trick or treating. Trick or treating is the activity where people (normally kids) go around to houses and ask for candy. I remember in 5th grade where we learned a story about this. My teacher said something about how this tradition started sort of in Ireland because hungry people would go around door to door asking for food. They would "curse" the houses that didn't give them food hence the "trick" part of "trick or treat." I've had a lot of fun in past Halloweens but this year, I'm just not feeling it. I accidentally had a nap and I do feel a little better.

It's also my friend's birthday. I've been way too busy to work on anything right now but I do have a project in mind. I love birthdays. I'm not quite sure why. I don't have some sort of elegant reason. I used to have some time and in that time I would make unique birthday gifts. I've made one of my friend's a "bad day jar" where there were 50+ little slips of paper with an inspirational quote. On the outside of the jar, I  put"paper mâché" on the outside of the jar with cutouts from a magazine. The next year, I made that same friend a 20 page story. I've made comics before and a coupon book. I'm always looking for new ideas as well. 

I don't really have any tips for today. . . or other things I want to share about my week. My public speaking speech went really well! Maybe I'll upload my script later. 

But have a fantastic Halloween whether you celebrate or not. xx

No comments:

Post a Comment