photo home_zps50cbc827.gif photo about-me_zpsa01d7e00.gif photo life-in-books_zps0f9b7d0b.gif


Monday, October 1, 2012

Post of Mysteries

I'm writing a script about a girl solving mysteries so I was inspired to write a story.. haha. I'm so much better at these types of things, not public speaking stories. Hope you enjoy!

 My life is pretty boring but I bet you guys don't mind these stories. This is just the first chapter of my mystery story! Maybe I'll continue, we'll see. My weekend was really not all that eventful. On Saturday, I had the Pear Festival which you maybe read about. On Sunday, the EM had our VBS presentation and it brought back so many fond memories. I miss Korea and summer. It was seriously the best time ever. We all went to Nation's, I think they have Nations in other states. I'm not sure though because I never saw any in Colorado. I had a BLT and a lot of banana creme pie... I've gained a full pound haha. But yeah Berkeley is a lot more diverse than where I live. I was in one of the church members' car and we were blasting Gangnam Style (by PSY) with windows rolled down, four girls singing to it, and no one seemed to think it was weird. 

I also coincidentally saw TG's sister. Hahah, I was in the car with another person who was driving me back to church since my parents were still there. Everyone else in EM, besides the pastor's daughter, is in college so they all went home. They had a midterm today... and the pastor's daughter lives in Berkeley so the person driving me back to church dropped her off at home. And TG's sister was with three girls and one of the girls knew the person who was driving me home. His sister seemed somewhat familiar so I asked the guy driving me and he told me that she used to go to my school and has a brother. He happened to know her last name too, so that helped a lot. 

And I'm not sure if you read this or not but there is another girl who so obviously likes TG. We're friends but not close and she's seriously getting on my nerves. So yesterday, she started a conversation with TG about this Korean song (she's a super fangirl of everything Kpop). I swear that it popped up on my newsfeed. It also happened to be an OST for this drama so I commented because I love that drama. He liked my comment and then asked me a question. So we had a 20 post long conversation between the three of us and eventually it died down. I went to her page and saw that she had like 4 different posts with TG tagged in them and that annoyed me because I could totally see what she was doing. Once one conversation died, she started a new one just to talk to him. I know this isn't Wednesday, but that's just a bad plan, not one that I would recommend. So in another conversation where she tagged TG and one of my other friends, I saw that the other friend had commented so I liked it because it was a funny comment. And then this girl calls me out on my stalking which pretty much means, get away from this conversation now because it has nothing to do with you. And in the last one I apologized for being creepy in my first comment, and she says that it's understandable because it's that drama and it's me. I would cry a river if TG ended up liking this girl. On this positive note I hope you enjoy this story! It's a pretty short start compared to Coffee Shop and this one will be a SHORT story. xx 

The Phone Call 
It was a sunny fall afternoon, maybe the last time the temperature would spike above eighty degrees. My mother described as Indian summer but I liked to believe that global warming was messing up our ecosystem. I had a math test tomorrow but had neglected to study for it. I hadn’t bothered learning the material, until well tonight when I realized that the test was tomorrow. I sat hunched over with my math textbook opened and a blank sheet of paper casually slid under. The fan was whirring and all the windows were open, but the four o’clock heat couldn’t be beat. 
“Victoria! Phone,” my mother yelled from downstairs. I ran hurriedly to my parents’ room where the home phone resided. No one ever called me from the home phone since I got my phone in eighth grade. My thoughts immediately wandered to that guy in my English class. He was insanely attractive and he had been saying hi to me for the past couple days. He had said that he would give me a call if he needed help with transcendentalism and romanticism. 
“Hello?” I asked quickly. What was his name again? Oh yeah, Nick. 
“Is this Victoria Krum?” A raspy, quiet voice asked from the other line. I shuddered unintentionally. No one called me Victoria besides my mother. 
“Yes, yes it is, who might this be?” 
“Hello Victoria, this is Melissa Hastings,” the woman on the line said in her frail voice. Ah, I knew who that was. Ms. Hastings was one of my neighbors who lived on the same side of the street. She once baked casserole for my family when my father was in the hospital.  Ms. Hastings was in charge of the neighborhood welcoming committee but I couldn’t understand how this small, shy woman did a good job at it. 
“Uh hi Ms. Hastings, is there anything I can do for you?” I was slightly annoyed. No grown up really wanted to talk to me. I had some serious trigonometry to study for. I didn’t know why detectives even needed to learn math but so were the rules of high school. 
“Yes, I saw a flyer posted around the neighborhood about your detective service,” Ms. Hastings said. I sighed into the receiver. Was she calling to nag me about taking them down? I had recently opened my own detective service because no one seemed to believe that I was capable of being a detective. My mother even scowled at the flyer when I had printed one copy. She refused to let me start a budding career with our printer. Her exact words were: “I won’t be responsible, and neither will the Krum printer, for a failed daughter.” Even my older brother, Max, thought that was harsh. He’s in a band and it took three years of straight A’s and a ton of first place ribbons from band competitions for my mother to even consider that possibility. 
“Yes?” I knew I sounded annoyed but I couldn’t help it. 
“Well I was wondering if I could acquire that service,” Ms. Hastings said. What? I was surprised and closed my math book. My first case was much more important than one math test. 
“Of course Ms Hastings, what would you like me to look for?” 
“A teddy bear, Victoria, I’ve lost it and it’s precious to me,” she said on the line. A teddy bear? I couldn’t believe my first case was finding a teddy bear. Here was another adult thinking that my whole practice was a complete joke. 
“Okay, Ms. Hastings, I’ll come over tomorrow,” I said ready to hang up the phone. 
“No, you need to come over now.” I had never heard Ms. Hastings stressed and in agony before. Her voice had become louder and she sounded urgent. I raised my eyebrows but decided to go over anyway. How long would it take to provide some sort of entertainment to her? 
“Okay Ms. Hastings,” I said again and finally hung up. I took out the detective notebook that I ordered from Amazon two days ago. A pen was conveniently clipped in place. All I needed was a good hat but my funds were a bit low after the first purchase. I walked down the stairs and my mother was in the living room watching her favorite soap opera. 
“Mom, I’ll be back. I have my first detective case,” I boasted with a smirk. She just shook her head in disbelief. 
“What, are you finding some money under the couch or cleaning up after a kid?” 
“Well I’m going to be back in an hour.”
“I thought you had a math test tomorrow.”
“Don’t worry, I already studied,” I said and left. I had some jitters in my stomach as I walked to Ms. Hastings’s house. It was a short two minute walk and I rang the doorbell. This was my very first case. 


No comments:

Post a Comment