photo home_zps50cbc827.gif photo about-me_zpsa01d7e00.gif photo life-in-books_zps0f9b7d0b.gif


Saturday, July 6, 2013

Condolences

Hi everyone! First of all I'd like to give all my condolences to the people on the Asiana flight that crashed today at SFO. It really scares me how something like that could happen at this day and age. I have been on that same flight so many times and every time, and every time I tune out the safety instructions. I distinctly remember rolling my eyes when the flight attendants were trying to teach me about oxygen gas masks and procedures for a water landing. It really is the right thing to put safety first.  

I went out shopping today! I know that's a really abrupt transition. I haven't bought a new going out bag in such a long time! I did buy a red Longchamp bag this year but it's too big to be used for movies and errands. Pics will be up later! My mom did this really weird sale promotion thing and we're picking up the bags on Thursday. I also need to pick up my pot on Tuesday! I can't wait to see how that turned out. I also bought a pink Kate Spade wallet that was on sale and am completely in love with. It's a really classy, no fuss wallet that called out to me. It's nice to have a couple wallets for different occasions. 

I made flan yesterday for the first time ever! I got the recipe from Kitchen Princess and it actually tasted pretty good. Flan is a lot like egg custard for those of you who have no idea what flan is. This method requires no baking in an oven so it was quite the perfect recipe. It's really easy too and a great sweet treat for all of us novice bakers. The recipe says to use plastic tea cups but I used these little ceramic ramekins I got at Crate and Barrel and it turned out fine. 

Flan recipe 
4 cups of flan
1 3/4 cups milk
5 tablespoons sugar
3 eggs
a little bit of vanilla (I put in 2 teaspoons, but that's up to you)

caramel sauce: 
3 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon water 

  1. put milk on low heat and add sugar. stir well and when the sugar melts, stop the heat and cool for a minute. Make sure you don't let the milk boil. 
  2. Break the eggs in a bowl and stir well
  3. Slowly pour the milk from step 1 into the bowl from step 2 and stir. Add some vanilla
  4. pour the mix from step 3 through a strainer. this makes the flan smoother.
  5. Make the caramel sauce in a small pot. put the water and sugar in a pot and stir quickly over high heat. when it becomes brown, remove from heat and put it into four cups
  6. pour the mix from step 4 into the cups over the caramel sauce. 
  7. Fill a pot with water and put a steamer above it. when the water starts steaming, stop the heat and put the cups int the steamer. after 2-3 mins on high heat, lower the heat and steam for another 13 to 15 minutes. when you put it on low heat, move the lid a little so some of the steam will escape. If you put a towel under the lid, water won't get into the flan. 
  8. poke a hole in the flan with a toothpick, and if juice doesn't come out, it's done. after it cools put it in the refrigerator 

1 comment:

  1. Hey Youngjoo! I nominated your blog for the Liebster Award :) Check it out here http://smilesnomatter.blogspot.com/2013/07/liebster-award.html

    ReplyDelete