photo home_zps50cbc827.gif photo about-me_zpsa01d7e00.gif photo life-in-books_zps0f9b7d0b.gif


Friday, February 1, 2013

Humans are Not Objects

Hi everyone! I hope you've always had a great week. I've had a very tiresome week. I have another public speaking competition tomorrow! Whoooo first time parliamentary debating! I just wanted to discuss this new app that's come into the App Store and Android Play Store. It's called Lulu and I hate it. The idea is okay I guess but I just dislike it so much. Basically it's an app where you can rate guys that you don't even know. Their information is somehow transferred to the Lulu database from Facebook. Is that even legal? I just hate the idea of "rating" people. You rate objects, not people. 



Technology Crosses the Line with Lulu

With the recent boom of technology, the way we buy products has changed. Instead of going to a physical location, we now have the option of ordering everything from clothes to computer products to home furniture online. Websites such as Yelp.com also offer invaluable services to compare different restaurants and other businesses for optimal quality. Applications like RedLaser and Price Check from Amazon allow users to compare prices for the cheapest buy.
The prevalent use of social media has increased the potential for success and flop for business, museums, and even movies. Technology has enabled us to find the best product in the least amount of time. Why waste time in a terrible restaurant when Yelp.com is telling you that there’s a fantastic Italian restaurant down the street? These websites are incredibly helpful in every day life but when is it going too far? Currently, there is a website or app for book suggestions, clothing and style suggestions, and now even dating suggestions.
There have been online dating websites like eHarmony before, where one can create an online persona and meet people through the web. The app Lulu goes one step further by labeling men as one would label and rate a business or a movie. There are many categories such as attractiveness, intelligence, manners, etc. that a man can be rated on. These ratings are backed by a picture and basic information, like a relationship status, from Facebook. Scarily enough, any guy who has a Facebook has automatically been downloaded onto this program.
This app has disregarded the fact that people should be treated like people and not objects that can be bought. I understand the usefulness of comparing restaurants and different types of rugs, but comparing people like this is a form of bullying. Whatever happened to the connection that people form from face to face? This app is creating rumors about people and could ruin their relationship and confidence based on statements that may or may not be true.
First impressions are very important and have always been important, until now. Lulu introduces a person based on what other people think about them. With the simple search of a first and last name, the opportunity for a first impression is gone.
On blog.onlulu.com, the makers of this app state that finding love is complicated and time consuming. This app would allow women to narrow down their choices quickly and efficiently, like scouring Amazon.com for the best camera case. Love and relationships should be built on personal connections that have nothing to do with reputations and these ratings. Relationships should take time and effort. This app and apps like this will cause nothing but rumors, speculation, and the loss of personal connections. Lulu has already rid women of the first impression and how far we will allow this to go before saying no? The key problem to this app is the fact that humans are not simple products that come with a bar code and a list of features. I rarely say this, but technology has crossed the line. 

2 comments:

  1. I have to agree with you, this totally crosses a line. I mean: ANY guy on Facebook? I'm pretty sure that's illegal. Unless Facebook has made some kind of deal, which wouldn't surprise me.
    The thought of being rated on an app by people I don't even know is terrible

    Sometimes, when I'm having a hyperventilation attack, my friends have to carry me to class. They make jokes about it, that I'm some kind of parcel. I think that's where it starts to go wrong: when we see eachother as things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know! This app is so creepy!
    Yeah, sometimes my friends do that to. Or refer to other people as objects and that's when I feel kind of iffy about what they're saying.
    Thanks for reading and following!

    ReplyDelete