photo home_zps50cbc827.gif photo about-me_zpsa01d7e00.gif photo life-in-books_zps0f9b7d0b.gif


Thursday, January 16, 2014

An Ode to Grapefruit

Hello everyone :) I hope you're having a great Thursday! I'm sorry I didn't have a musing for you this week. I didn't really have time to contemplate and write something down but hopefully one will be up next week. I'm writing a new short story about a girl who has had a lot of different personalities and names. Basically the premise is about this story is her facing her past without running away from everything that she's scared of. It's under the lable story as well as City Girl. On Tuesday, I had a mock trial scrimmage and it was SO COOL!!! We were all dressed up and as court journalist, I got to sit in this special place with the court artist :D I didn't know I had to introduce myself so that was quite embarrassing...Anyways, I wrote this silly little poem about grapefruit!! 
Through my 17 years of existence, I’ve realized that the most profound lessons come at unexpected times. College interviews I had anxiously waited so long for never came until I had forgotten all about them. Finding old childhood photos are always an emotional time for me because they bring back the memories that are tucked deep in my conscience. Just this Sunday I had another one of these moments. Right before my first round started at the public speaking tournament, I glimpsed a bottle of grapefruit juice. It was set slightly apart from the other drinks and snacks at the food table. I knew I had to buy it after remembering all those elementary schools day where I would only drink grapefruit juice. It gave me the energy, happiness, and confidence for the rest of the day. So here is an ode to grapefruit because I have so much appreciation for it.

An Ode to Grapefruit

The delightful ruby red glow enchants me

Treasures inside, tucked away, hidden from sight

Solitary, all alone, let it be

Peeling away, secrets glisten in light



Little gems cloaked in white sheets, encased

Citrus scent fills the air, it’s time to tweet

Taste buds explode from sensational taste

Tangy, sour, a little bit too sweet



One bite, two bite, it’s impossible to stop

Soon the empty shell is all that remains

Nothing else will do, not even soda pop

The unforgettable memory pains



Busy life takes over, no time to cry

No more time to worry about the past

Mock trial, debate, Mirador, oh my!

Paradise is another finished path



The unexpected glimpse of lost beauty

An old friend, so dear, so precious, unchanged

Still as wonderful as it is fruity

At once, we are no longer estranged














No comments:

Post a Comment