photo home_zps50cbc827.gif photo about-me_zpsa01d7e00.gif photo life-in-books_zps0f9b7d0b.gif


Saturday, March 15, 2014

Everyday Can Be Pie Day

Hi everyone! I had a really eventful week last week. Friday was Pi day (3.14) and I celebrated by making pie after watching the school musical! I never realized how easy it was to make pie (despite that trite statement "easy as pie")! So here is a long awaited recipe (copied from the interweb) from a girl who wishes she was going to culinary school and art school while you know attending a 4 year university on the side. I really don't know what I want my future to look like anymore. 

Before I give you my pie-making secrets (this was my first time making pie, not going to lie..), I just wanted to share a really weird dream. Perhaps this is on the brink of too touchy and too personal but whatever. I dream some strange things... 

I was in a really odd house hiding from some person. I'm not sure who but this person or group wanted a whole bunch of us caught and dead. The house had walls that somehow led to other rooms and you could teleport yourself. I got separated from friends and was running for my life, when I found the weirdest mirror room. It was the perfect hiding place and it led somewhere else. I'm not sure where but dream Me was relieved because she found the way out of this bizarre house. Have you guys seen The Hunger Games? Well there's that scene where Peeta is teamed up with the super elitist people in order to watch out for Katniss. It sort of felt like that. S (post-breakup) found me with his little group and managed to get them to go away. We were both hesitant about being in near proximity. I can't really remember how events unfolded here but he was saying how he had to get back to his group. I begged him not to leave (I remember this..) and after much pondering, he decided to stay. I woke up with the weirdest feeling in the world. 

On Friday and today, I had another huge debate tournament! I didn't break to the first elimination round but my partner and I managed to beat the #1 parliamentary debate team in the country! It was a huge accomplishment.. even though the judging was very unfair.. 

So onwards to pie! 
Apple Pie a la Youngjoo
Ingredients for the crust
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon fine salt
1 teaspoon granulated sugar
8 tablespoons cold unsalted butter cut in small pieces
4 to 5 tablespoons water

You may need x2 of crust dough for top and bottom. If you want to be sneaky you can buy a premade pie crust and make a cute top part from scratch. 3 teaspoons = 1 tablespoon. I also used a water bottle for a rolling pin... improvise! 

Ingredients for the filling: 
5 apples (I used a mix of Granny Smith and Fugi)
3/4 cup sugar 
2 tablespoons flour
I teaspoon cinnamon 

Instructions
It's much easier to make the dough first so that you can multitask! 
1. Get a large bowl and combine flour, sugar, salt, and butter (once the butter has been cut into small pieces). 
2. Hopefully you've washed your hands, and start kneading the dough together. Pour in water slowly as you see fit. I ended up using 6 tablespoons, so no big deal if you use a little less or a little more.
3. After the dough is formed, put it in the fridge for 30 mins. 
4. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. 

Now time to switch gears and work on the filling!! 
1. Get another large bowl. Start cutting the apples in thin slices. This part is the most tedious. 
2. Combine apples with sugar, flour, and cinnamon. Make sure apples are thoroughly mixed together with the seasoning. 
3. Let it sit for a little bit. 

This is where the crust meets the apples!
1. After 30 mins, take the dough out of the fridge. If you're using this dough for the actual crust too, then roll it out thick enough (using basically anything..) and lay it over your pie tin. You can use a fork to make the nice little border part.. 
2. Pour the apple filling into the pie tin over the crust. 
3. It's really up to you on covering up the pie. I did lattice covering but I know you can cover it with little stars (or other cut outs) or even apple roses! For a lattice covering, cut strips of dough and neatly weave them through! 
4. Put the pie into the oven and wait 40 mins! 

Voila! Easy as pie! 


Before the oven! 


After! 


No comments:

Post a Comment